Wednesday, July 30, 2008

'Assumed' organ donor ?

'NDP Pushing for Assumed Organ Donation' Have people not learned yet that assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups ? So right off, I have my card checked for organ donation...I am definitely NOT against it...but to assume ? That's just not right. Be spiritual or what you will, that body belongs to somebody and you can''t just start harvesting it....."SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Had to get that in..sorry. If I was in a position to desperately require an organ or I will succumb to a disease that I have, I probably would want to see this pushed through (see link). If I was in an airplane heading straight toward the earth facing imminent death....chances are pretty good I would say a quick prayer, even tho I am anti-religion. I would try anything. But it still comes down to the fact that you cannot assume people want their body harvested...should'nt even be considered. These people are pretty much saying that once you pass on your body becomes the property of the government and medical system if you don't initial or sign that little box. So if you forget to check the box or sign, then unfortunately your body is up for grabs. Nothing your family can do. Versus the opposite now. I would prefer the not using my body if I forget. My partner knows I want to donate, but I do understand that they need to know asap after death. Another scenario....they can't find your wallet or ID...."this poor soul is dead...well, it's assumed he wants to give his/her organs to others...lets get to it" Not....the card is checked for 'NO' to organ donation but it is done anyway. But they had to rush to keep the organs fresh and 2 people benefited....Sorry. Not good enough. If for nothing else...unfortunately....it is on principle that I would refuse to allow the federal government to control my remains. That is going a little too far. They already technically control my finances and budget and a lot of day to day life. They will NOT and should NOT have control over your body after death. What a can of worms they would open. Ah well, I guess MP or MPP's can try and get whatever legislation they want pushed through but I have to agree that most of the time they are shot down on stupid stuff like this. I have faith in the system enough to know that this will not pass....as we are not there yet as a civilisation. (Do other countries have this ??)

No comments: