Wednesday, July 23, 2008

They Just Can't Let It Go !!

“I really like Paul McCartney, but in this context, this is the last straw,..There is a clear Canadianization of the 400th celebrations. It is becoming a political gesture that tarnishes his presence. -Curzi

“The presence of your English-language music on the most majestic part of Battlefields Park, as beautiful as it might be, can’t help but bring back painful memories of our Conquest,” -Archambault

This is another letter I wrote to P Curzi, a Bloc Quebecois sovereigntist.....who is an idiot. Need I say more ? We already know that Luc is an idiot. Canadianization ?? New word that makes me laugh. I guess it is in the future BQ dictionary.....He thinks the French language is fragile and is going the way of the Dodo...Me thinks he need not worry....

Hi,

Could you at some point share with me your thoughts on the fragility of the French language ? I am an English speaking Canadian who has an alternate language shoved down his throat every day. Yes that language is French. It is forced upon us English speaking Canadians by our government, both federal and provincial. Yes, we are a bilingual country which is unique in it's own way and different, and French is a language that I do wish I could speak a little better than I do and I do actually like it. But it is when separatists and groups like action imperatif francais get media attention for ridiculous actions on their part, that it takes away interest we English speaking Canadians have in still trying to accept French as a second language...as again it is forced upon us. And you cannot in any way say it is not forced upon us as it most definitely is. Walk a day in my shoes or one of of a million other of your fellow Canadians. The aif group lambasted the federal government for using a poster of Samuel de Champlain with a plate of poutine as a Canada Day advert...inside the embassy. First off...Canada Day...not Quebecs BDay...secondly..poutine..that is something to be proud of and distinctly French. How many English speaking Canadians got their panties in a twist in the national media over having a symbol of a province that is trying to separate (OK..obviously less than 50% of the Quebec population) from Canada and feels the need not to follow the rest of Canada in using bilingual signs to assist the 'anglophones' in knowing where they are....used in their embassy in the US to advertise Canada Day ? Pretty sure there were none. It's folks like yourself that keep the province going I guess, financially, as your constant threats/ambition with regards to separating from Canada force the federal government to treat you that much better and get that much more funding and federal contracts to keep you complacent.Keeps the Quebec economy afloat I guess. (why did the federal government not force Quebec to keep bilingual road signs ? hmmmm....) This unfortunately is a popular view of the majority of English speaking Canada. The Federal government is doing quite well in keeping the French language alive and there is also the fact that English is kinda accepted as a universal language you know and you will thus have to suffer our existence in your province and we suffer forced bilingualism.
I would seriously like to hear of any information you could forward on the possible future extinction of French. It after all is probably the 2nd most accepted universal language. Maybe my views are wrong. I doubt it, but maybe I need an adjustment in my thinking and you could supply it.

PS: At McCartneys age I am sure he does not need a lesson on the history of the Plains of Abraham and the history of Quebec. It is taught worlwide you know, as it is the nucleus of Canada. Did the english victors deport all the French citizens ? Nope. They were pretty sure they could live in peace together.

As a member of your provincial house and experience as an actor,I am sure you either speak english or have access to a translator..as I do not. Please be civil and reply in english.

No comments: