Thursday, July 24, 2008

China is still Communist you know...right ?

Do people still actually think that China, with it's insane rate of growth and most obvious lack of inspectors and controls, is a trustworthy place to import products from let alone everyday foodstuff ? I mean Canada, a fully developed and democratic country does not even have enough inspectors to inspect incoming goods from them. Do you think China does ? Not. They have a factory up in 1 week and start pumping out product the next day. If they are eventually found to be non-compliant with whatever regulations are enforced there, maybe they are eventually shut down, to open up under a different name 3 days later in another exploding province or farmers field that will in 1 month be a small city. Maybe if the federal government paid $1.50 an hour for inspectors we could quadruple the amount need to properly inspect these goods and food. Then we would fall into the Chinese way and fully 1/2 of those inspectors would be paid off by the companies (either import or export) to pass the goods as 'cleared'. Countries that use China as their major supplier should be allowed to have an International clearing area in a province there. All goods destined for here should come through inspectors there and any missed get caught here. China is after all a communist state still, even tho' they are doing a good job of hiding it and brushing stuff under the carpet for the Olympics, and you can be assured that government inspectors there are getting rich off our cheap imports. Unfortunately, there is no way on this green earth that Western countries can match the manpower and ridiculously low wages that are prevalent in China. Impossible. I'll work for the Canadian Food Inspection agency for free if they pay my bills and mortgage....This is the age of Wal-Mart (I do shop there and love it by the way) and to keep prices down they have to use cheap labour. This ultimately leads to most manufacturing etc.. being contracted out to developing and third world countries. So I guess I should shut up and be happy with my cheap stuff whilst it remains useful. I can stick to Canadian or US food only tho'. I refuse to buy lettuce or veggies grown in Brazil or Uraguay.
China went as far as to ban the use/sale or public display of dog meat.....dog meat....while the olympics are under way. Dog meat. What country would not try to discourage this by maybe trying to get commercial farms going to feed your own population real meat. How much meat is on a dog anyway ? Dog meat. On the topic of cheap labour, what about companies who use countries like India to host their call centres ? Oh..my..god....It makes me mental when I am having issues with something technical like and I call to get assistance and then have to deal with a language barrier AND my lack of techie ingenuity. I do feel sorry for most of these poor souls who are trying to do their job and put up with my constant "Pardons" and "can you repeat thats" and "say agains" and then just having to ask for a call agent in Canada. I really do. It is not their fault North American companies are trying to squeeze out every penny they can to make a buck. How much would it cost Bell Canada (%$#$$#%^&*#!!!!!!) to have a call centre in India versus a company who has to get physical product to there and back again. I guess it's worth the lost customers who are fed up with their poor call centre plan of attack....Sad state of affairs....Dog meat.....your kidding me...right ?

No comments: